Thursday, 01 March 2012

"Downfall" Starts with a Bang



Book title: Downfall
Author: Terri Blackstock
Publisher: Zondervan
Date: February, 2012
ISBN: 978-0-310-20586-5












"Downfall" concludes the Intervention Christian suspense series by Terri Blackstock. It can be read as a stand-alone novel, but readers will connect more deeply with the characters if they read the other two books first.

The book literally starts with a bang as a homemade bomb explodes under Emily Covington's car. Is this a repercussion from her past? Emily, drug-free now for two years, is working hard to rebuild her family's trust and complete her studies, but the Avenger is after her. I found myself rooting for her as she plunges deeper and deeper into trouble as she attempts to prevent a murder.

Lance, her brother, is also caught up in the aftermath of Emily's addictions. He's a social misfit at his new school, and puts himself at risk to protect April, his only friend there.

I listened to interviews with Terri Blackstock and discovered that she relates strongly to Barbara, Emily's mother, as her own daughter was a drug addict for several years. She knows what it is like to fight for your child as she goes in and out of rehab in an effort to break free. She knows what it's like to learn to trust your child again. She knows what it's like to live with the fear of a relapse. I admire Blackstock's courage in drawing on her personal experience to write "Downfall" and that of her daughter in giving her blessing to the book.

"Downfall" is not just a compelling mystery which keeps you guessing to the end, it's a message of hope for drug addicts and their families—addiction can be broken with God's help.

I enjoyed this book and highly recommend it. Be warned though—if you start reading it, you'll get caught in the I'll-just-read-one-more-chapter-trap as I did! The short enthralling chapters captured me and I read the whole book quickly in a few sittings.

Thank you to Shelton Interactive for giving me an Advanced Reading Copy of "Downfall" in exchange for my unbiased review.

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to start reading the final book. I have the other two and can relate deeply. I too have a child who is a recovering drug addict. Terri always gives me hope. My child is doing wonderful and I have full faith in God that it will ocntinue.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete